Hollow Tree

I came to visit you today, old friend. I'm sorry it's been so long. How are you? Let's talk of the old days, do you remember?

When first we met I was five years old but you had seen a century and more. That was fifty years past, and I was small enough then to shelter from the winter chill inside your hollow trunk, while I waited for the fish to bite. Over long golden summers your sap green leaves shaded me when the sun was hot, and in return I offered, sometimes, the sacrifice of a brightly painted float, flung up high into branches that then spread far and wide. 

You were famous in your day, a named landmark by which to navigate. Stately, majestic, like the Thames that flows through your roots, the jackdaws did your swearing but the willow warblers sang your songs.        

Etched now is your skin, and fizzes under my palm the story of a long and eventful life, a life that I feared might already have passed. So I'm glad to see you, old friend, stooped and reduced though you are, but here still and to my eyes beautiful even now because you help me to remember.   

     




Comments

  1. There was an old tree grew along side the Ully Gully , a small lake , next to the river Trent, it was there when i was very young, i would climb up and watch tench in the close season, alas over the last three years it has fallen and now lays rotting, its funny how these old land marks still hold precious memories to some of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your tench are still there..

      Delete
    2. Unfortunately the M1 motorway was built very close to it , i remember it before . The tench still remain , into double figures i have heard , still festooned with lily pads in Summer despite the noise of the traffic i still remember it as it was before. The tree is still there rotting away on the far bank , i saw it and had a word only last week .

      Delete

Post a Comment